1.19.2021 – Diets are a Temporary Fix
Diets are a Temporary Fix
Jan. 19-25 is National Healthy Weight Week
January 19, 2021 – January 19-25 marks the 21st annual Healthy Weight Week, a time to celebrate healthy, diet-free habits that last a lifetime. This week is all about loving yourself, loving your body, and changing the way you approach your weight goals.
Diets are a temporary fix to a long-term problem and usually, they don’t work. We are bombarded on a daily basis with fad diets promising fast results. While laxative teas and caffeine pills can show short-term results on the scale, they reduce your nutrient intake and can be harmful to many organs (liver, kidneys, etc.) in the long-term.
A positive body image and establishing a healthy relationship with food is the first step in attempting to live a healthy lifestyle. Here are a few tips we recommend:
- Start by changing your internal dialogue from negative to positive. Remember that beauty comes in all shapes, sizes, textures and colors!
- Get active! Winter is, understandably, the most sedentary season for Americans. 5 minutes a day is a great starting point. Ever tried yoga?
- Drink more water. Try drinking a little bit more each day. Water intake flushes out toxins which allows our muscles to work at peak performance. It’s also known to help skin health.
- Eat balanced meals – no more calorie counting! All 5 food groups should be incorporated into your main meals each day.
- Get enough sleep. It sounds counteractive to become more active but also get more rest, yet your body heals when you sleep. Stress relief is key to a healthy lifestyle.
Each person’s “ideal” weight is different. There is no benefit to comparisons. You are you and that’s perfect!